The Technical Unit on Governance and Anti-Corruption Reforms (TUGAR) is a research, monitoring and evaluation unit set up to respond to the critical need for a rigorous approach to policy making grounded on empirical data collection and analysis, and in-depth country specific diagnostics on corruption and related governance issues.
The major role of TUGAR is to serve as a one-stop-shop for data, information, policy and diagnostic reports from analysis, surveys and other research methods for monitoring and evaluating anti-corruption and governance initiatives across all sectors in the country. The work of the unit includes conducting comprehensive diagnostic studies, deep analytical work, monitoring and evaluating anti-corruption and governance initiatives, construction of governance indicators and developing policy briefs on various governance issues for informing policy makers and driving sustainable reforms. TUGAR’s activities also aim at building synergy in the work of anti-corruption Agencies and provides a link and synergy with activities of non-state actors.
TUGAR is the secretariat of the Inter-Agency Task Team of Anti-corruption Agencies (IATT) comprising of 22 core anti-corruption and accountability institutions whose mandates fall within the extensive scope of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC).
A leading agency in empirical based policy making and implementation of anti-corruption and governance initiatives.
- To generate empirical data to support the crusade against corruption and ensure good governance.
- To be a veritable resource databank for anti-corruption and good governance.
- To promote good governance and enhance strategic policy and advisory briefs.
- Monitor and evaluate governance and anti-corruption initiatives at all levels od governance in the country initiatives at all levels of governance in the country and provide data-based coordination.
- Track and monitor parallel anti-corruption and governance initiatives within the Corporate Sector and Civil Society.
- Conduct impact analysis by evaluating the mandates, structures, desired impacts and actual impacts of key delivery channels for governance and anti-corruption.
- Generate information and data which will feed into the policy framework and drive reforms.
- Facilitate the building of synergy among the diverse anti-corruption monitoring.
- Stimulate and lead discussion around the development of a National and Comprehensive Strategy and Action Plan against corruption.